Saturday, June 23, 2012

So much to cover, Part I

I really thought I would do a better job of covering our life since the last post. Now that the year is half over, I'd better do our life some justice by covering it in this blog.

I celebrated my birthday with pasta and homemade meatballs, a Roku player, and a trip to the ER. I was trying really hard for the nurse not to know it was my birthday until she asked for my birthday for insurance reasons. She wished me a happy birthday and sent us on our way. Tate fell on a sharp object and sliced his knee and needed a couple of stitches. Arie was feeling really brave so he joined us for the ride to the ER (of course the urgent care was closed by the time we realized we need to see a doctor). Tate survived, Arie was brave, and I have the memory of visiting the ER.

 

 We bought a tent over the summer after camping in a two man tent (that camping trip made me really want my own tent). We really wanted to try out our tent but unfortunately, the weather in January isn't the best for camping. I heard a co-worker talk about camping in his living room, so I thought it would be good to set up our tent for the first time--in our tiny apartment. The boys had a lot of fun sleeping in the tent (Cass and I had fun putting up the tent without knocking over the lamps or breaking the windows).

 
(Finn loves to be "cozy" in his bed and he was pretty excited to sleep in the tent)

We all had cabin fever in February so we decided we needed to see the outdoors. We took our kids on a two mile hike. Yeah, they don't really walk that much at a time or haven't really hiked. We kept telling ourselves that they would like the hike. Cass and I loved the hike. The boys were sure glad to see the car again.

 
(don't mind the tear or the angry face--we are really good parents)

Tate had another surgery on his eyes. Poor guy knew that this surgery was going to be unpleasant after the his surgery last year. He did really well this time, but it is always hard to see him be sedated and whisked away on a gurney.



I visited Seattle for business in February and Cass and I went back in March to look for a place to rent. Long story short--California was fast paced, cramped, over crowded, and expensive for us. So we decided that we would try out living in Washington for a while. In our minds, Washington is slower paced, less cramped, and less expensive than California (one could argue it is over crowded). So here is to our next adventure!

 
(at the Space Needle wondering why the crap it rains so much here)

We had only three days to look for a place to live. Crazy, yup. Exciting, nope. But we did it. Cass and I are starting to realize that we don't do well traveling or traveling under stressful situations. But we saved money since neither of us could stomach eating out the whole trip. We had loads of snacks from Trader Joe's that sustained us. The trip involved calling Lacey for moral support (more than once), 20 listings to see (with 5 listings becoming unavailable before we arrived), and approximately 10 house viewings on the first day. Most of the homes were cold, dirty, smelly, or in a bad neighborhood.

We finally found a place that was clean, in a great neighborhood, in a great school district, and it smelled good. The landlady pointed out that they had Sensi candles and wanted to know if they smelled good to us. Of Course! So much better than wet dog or mold. She was really trying hard to sell us the place--but we were just so grateful we found the place. After a couple of moral support phone calls, prayers, and thinking, the landlady called to tell us she had accepted our application. She invited us over to her house to sign the contract, to feed us dinner, and to play a tune on her piano. We were pleasantly surprised by her hospitality and her willingness us to rent her house to us. She told us a couple of times that the other applicants made more money (Wah wah--yup, I know I make beans) but she felt that we were the right people to live in that house.

We were thrilled that we finally found a place to live and that pieces were starting to fall into place.

No comments: