"This tastes like rotten dinner!"--Tate
(unrelated, had to throw this in)
"Mom, you look like an old man, but I love you anyway."--Arie
"This doesn't make any sense in my mouth."--Arie
"I fot I would like it, but it tastes disgusting"--Tate
That's ok.....because tonight I tried something new and they ate it all up. No crazy comments about food or geriatrics. I thought since it was such a success that I would post it here.
I realize this is nothing new to most, but it was to us. I don't usually like "mexican" food. (I know, I am the only one on the planet) I altered it a bit to my liking. I used canned chicken (waaaay faster), stewed tomatoes (I didn't have diced so I diced the stewed tom.), and I added a pint of cream at the end. I loved the crispy tortilla strips. Yum!

Chicken Tortilla Soup
3 Chicken Breasts cut up into chunks
1 medium onion diced
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 packet taco seasoning
3 cups Chicken broth
1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
2 cans pinto beans
corn tortillas or chips
cilantro, chopped
shredded cheese, sour cream,avocado- for garnish
Heat the oil in large soup pot to med-high heat. Add chicken, cook until browned. Next, add onions-cook until tender. Add seasonings-garlic, chili powder, taco seasoning. Stir well. Pour in the chicken broth, and cook until boiling. Turn soup down and add the tomatoes, chilies and beans, all undrained. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
While soup is simmering, cut 7 tortillas into thin strips and bake in a 375 degree oven, or fry until crisp.
Serve soup in individual bowls, top with tortilla strips or chips, cheese,cilantro,sour cream and avocado
I realize this is nothing new to most, but it was to us. I don't usually like "mexican" food. (I know, I am the only one on the planet) I altered it a bit to my liking. I used canned chicken (waaaay faster), stewed tomatoes (I didn't have diced so I diced the stewed tom.), and I added a pint of cream at the end. I loved the crispy tortilla strips. Yum!
Don't mind the florescent lighting in the picture.

Chicken Tortilla Soup
3 Chicken Breasts cut up into chunks
1 medium onion diced
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 packet taco seasoning
3 cups Chicken broth
1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
2 cans pinto beans
corn tortillas or chips
cilantro, chopped
shredded cheese, sour cream,avocado- for garnish
Heat the oil in large soup pot to med-high heat. Add chicken, cook until browned. Next, add onions-cook until tender. Add seasonings-garlic, chili powder, taco seasoning. Stir well. Pour in the chicken broth, and cook until boiling. Turn soup down and add the tomatoes, chilies and beans, all undrained. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
While soup is simmering, cut 7 tortillas into thin strips and bake in a 375 degree oven, or fry until crisp.
Serve soup in individual bowls, top with tortilla strips or chips, cheese,cilantro,sour cream and avocado
4 comments:
Great soup. I wish I had some right now. Your boys are too funny for words! If you are an old man then I am an aged pillsbury dough boy. lol. Love, Gma Sarah
Hey Old Man Cassie...nice cookin!
I love you. 3.5 months.
Holy Crap, I made Tortilla Chicken soup a couple days ago. It wasn't creamy or anything, but it was tasty. I forgot to add chipotle peppers and I used canned chicken too. I'm guessing you used the chicken from Grandma? I think I only have 2-3 cans left.
I will be making this asap...you're right, you're crazy if you don't like Mexican food. Nothing makes me happier.
Post a Comment